Tomato sauce is a primary raw material for many dishes, but not everyone knows how to do the right thing. Tomato sauce, also known as ketchup (or catsup) is a popular spice in many Western countries. Sauces commonly used in many fast food items such as potato chips, and it is usually made from red ripe tomatoes. Today’s article will teach homemakers how to make ketchup simplest.
These Traditional Tomato Sauces
In Europe and America, ketchup is divided into 3 major types:
- Tomato ketchup (ketchup primary): main material is tomatoes, adding sugar, vinegar, salt, onion, garlic, and spices. It accounts for 70% of the ketchup market in Germany.
- Spices Ketchup( Ketchup and adding vegetables such as cucumber, capsicum, chili and other spices do): You will have ketchup barbecue for the barbecue, “ketchup steak” for beef steak, or spicy ketchup (Hot Chili Sauce).
- Curry Ketchup(The basic ketchup and adding spices like curry): This sauce has a spicy ketchup than the other types. It accounts for 20% of the ketchup market in Germany.
These Materials Need To Be Prepared
You should choose a ripe medium tomato, not too ripe. This is a prerequisite for a delicious tomato sauce. Plum tomatoes are tomatoes with elongated, and this is the ideal material for making tomato sauce. Your sauce is little grain and concentrate. Tomato is delicious, sweet but costs you a lot of time to peel.
– 3,6kg ripe tomatoes (If you have many tomatoes, then you just add the other ingredients according to the recipe)
– 60ml lemon juice
– 4 basil leaves (optional)
You will have two different methods to make a delicious ketchup.
First Method for Delicious Tomato Sauce
- You wash tomatoes, cut off the head, and cut small pieces. Because you would crush tomatoes, should the size of the tomato pieces are not too big. This will make you the weak hand when smashing in a long time. And you should not get chopped tomato; this would be very time-consuming.
- You for 1/4 tomato in a pot, boil on high heat. You see cooking tomatoes, and you crush them. You can use a tool for mashed potatoes to break tomatoes, which can be helpful. Without this tool, you can use a great ladle to grind.
- After crushing is complete. You give 1/4 of the remaining tomatoes to the pot, you still boil at high heat and continue grinding. You will do so in turn until all the tomatoes. Finally, you make the boiling pot for 5 minutes.
- If you have a food grinder, then you pour tomato juice into the machine and mashed. If you do not have the equipment, you just filtering through a sieve sauce. The goal is to remove all the remnants of tomato seeds and shells.
- After sieving, you pour tomato juice into the pot. You continue to boil and turn down the heat. You will boil add about 40-50 minutes.
- Boiling and drying the glass jar, add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice into each jar.
- Pouring tomato sauce into the jars hot, you should not fill the jar (distance 1cm is enough)! Let it cool, cover and store tomato sauce jar in the refrigerator.
If you use the basil leaves, release one leaf to each jar. By doing this, you will keep the tomato sauce in about 6 months.
The Second Method for Delicious Tomato Sauce
You’ll peel tomatoes. Before peeling, you must prepare a pot of boiling water. Then you make a large bowl of ice water. You need a big bowl, and it must contain enough whole tomatoes of yours.
You use nose to tip of a knife and cut off the heads tomatoes. You create an incision as “word x” at the bottom of each tomato. Then you drop the tomatoes into boiling water for about 30 seconds. You picked tomatoes, and pour them into a bowl of ice water. When the tomatoes have cooled, you will peel tomatoes easily.
For the tomato sauce tastier, use extra garlic, a little sugar, pepper, and oil, and you give everything in aluminum foil. You bring in baked garlic (temperature 40 ° C is appropriate) in 40 minutes time. This makes soft and fragrant garlic. Finally, you let it cool.
You slice 2 onions, 1 carrot, 2 stalks of celery. You use a pot, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Adding the vegetables in and stir for a few minutes until the vegetables were soft. You bring roasted garlic into the pot.
Adding the little salt to the mixture, then you give the extra ¼ cup of sugar. Pouring the ½ bottle of wine into the pot. You boil a few minutes, and the wine will evaporate 2/3. Finally, adding the tomatoes and salt. Cooking for about 15 minutes at a moderate temperature to have soft tomato.
You keep stirring the mixture to make a thin sauce layer. Continuing to boil mixture, and reduce the heat slowly. You will cook small fire from 1-2 hours. If you cook longer, then mixture as the special sauce, and smooth.
Finally, you draw ketchup in glass jars with lids for storage. The sauce bottle was opened and used, and they can be utilized for 1 week in the refrigerator. The unopened jars can be up to 3 months.
A Few Using Tomato Sauce for Dishes
- If you use extra pork or beef to the mixture, then this will create a tomato meat sauce. This is a great sauce for spaghetti.
- If you add the chicken pieces into the sauce. Then you boil at a small fire for 1 hour. This will create a stewed tomato chicken. This is a delicious dish and nutritious. Many people think that use slow cooking method will waste a lot of time. However, it is not exactly true. Best slow cookers even can save your time on cooking sauces. Why? Yes, cooking by the method will bring you great flavor dishes. It’s also able to make power-cut automatically to help you cook on right time without your much care. Happy cooking and enjoy!